Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have a new Powermaster 140 amp alternator (One wire setup)that is working fine. However, I do not know how to hook my Amp Gauge up. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Steve Haraway
1971 SS396

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Yea!

Loose the amp gage and get a volt meter Steve!

Assuming you are talking about an aftermarket amp gage, a volt meter is easier/simpler to wire up and much less dangerous than an incorrectly done amp meter!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
If you have a factory amp gauge, the alternator output needs to connect to the horn relay rather than the battery and any added load like elect fans etc. also need to connect to the horn relay. Wired as such the factory amp gauge will indicate charge when current is flowing from the alternator - horn relay to the battery and will indicate discharge when current flows from the battery to the load. The amp gauge doesn't indicate the current that is generated by the alternator and being used by load connected to the horn relay.

If it's an aftermarket amp gauge I agree with Big James 4XL, go with a volt gauge.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,
Right now I believe we have the Alternator wired directly to the battery. Is this a problem? I will check it when I get home tonight, but I am pretty sure that is the way we have it. This is with a factory Amp Gauge.

Regards,

Steve Haraway
1971 SS396

1 - 4 of 4 Posts