Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Bob,
I'd keep away from the ammeter. Every bit of current your electrical system draws/charges (except the starter motor) will go through the ammeter. Detroit got away from them years ago for a good reason - they're dangerous, an electrical SNAFU waiting to happen. Early SS cars had a kinda/sorta ammeter in the dash but it was really a voltmeter wired to indicate as an ammeter would (ie charge/discharge). If you have to use it, you'll need two lengths of 10 ga. wire which will run from the terminals of the ammeter to the terminal block where the small 10 gauge accessory lead off the (+) battery cable goes. Remove the accessory lead from the terminal block and connect it to the (+) ammeter lead using a "splice" connector. Connect the (-) lead from the ammeter to the terminal block and you should be all set. You also need to protect the two terminals of the ammeter with plastic caps or some other sort of electrical insulating material. remember, the full current capacity of the battery is at these terminals so any short here can be disastrous. If I were you, I'd dump the ammeter and find a voltmeter.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts