Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a set of guages for my El Camino. I'm leaning towards the mechanical Auto gage ones on pg. 145 of the newest Summit book. Which guage would you guys recommend, an Ammeter or a Voltmeter. Also, how hard is it to install these guages (amp or volt, water, oil pressure?)
Thank you

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
The voltmeter is easier to install and will give better information than the ammeter. If your electrical system is operating at the correct voltage, the amps will take care of themselves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The amp-meter is a *itch to install.. All electrical systems must run through it in order get an accurate reading..
I'de go with a voltmeter.. I can see everything goin on... Whenever the stereo in the trunk hits real hard, hard enough to make my radar detector fall off the windshield, and make the tach vibrate so bad that the needle floats, you can watch the headlights dim and the voltmeter go down.. Pretty cool

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would say voltmeter ampmeter takes a heavy gage wire witch would require puting a bigger hole in the fire wall. Thats if you want to hook it up properly.

------------------
Proud owner of a 66 chevelle. later, Nick a.k.a POPS
Member #387

·
Super Moderator
16,055 Posts
I'd have to vote for the ammeter. Sure it's a pain to hook up, but it tells you what's going on much better. You know at a glance whether you are charging the system or discharging the system.

If the reading is less than zero your alternator is not creating enough juice to power everything, if the reading is more than zero you are creating enough juice.

With the voltmeter you have to know what the cut-off is volts-wise (usually 12-14 volts) to tell if the system is working properly. About the same results, but not as easy to get the same information at just a glance.

If you do go with an ammeter, make sure the wire from the system to the meter and back is of a large enought guage and make darn sure you use rubber grommets where it passes through the firewall. You sure as heck don't want the wire to get chaffed and short out, you can start a fire that way and/or ruin part or all of your electrical system.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have had both and I vote for volt meter,simple to install. Do not have to worry about wires shorting out.If your worried about output install new style alternater with internal regulater
I do not like the Auto Gauge, the ones in my truck have white pointers and are poorly lite, very hard to see at night. The Auto Meters are much better,red pointers and better lights

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.