Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ammeter in my '69 el Camino with factory gauges hasn't worked since I got it, and on closer inspection it looks like I have an internal voltage regulator alternator. What do I have to do to get my alternator and ammeter talking to each other again?

SKIP

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
They don't have much to do with each other so I guess your question is why the ammeter doesn't function??

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok then, that is my question. In the past when I hooked up an aftermarket ammeter I was pretty sure I had to insert the ammeter into the alternator circuit somehow. In that there appears to be no wire from my I.R. alternator to the still existing (but not hooked up) external voltage regulator, I'm open to suggestions as to either testing my ammeter, or wiring it so it has something to read. Any help will be appreciated.

SKIP

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
You can test the gauge using an AAA battery. Connecting the battery to the amp gauge should peg in one direction, reverse the connections should peg in the other direction. If it does the gauge is good that means you have a problem with the wiring.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That's a place to start. And thanks for the hint on the Camaro door handle mechanisms. Bolted 'em in, and hit the latches with a little WD40 and they're opening like new.

SKIP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts