Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory ammeter in my dash has never worked properly, so a few months ago when I was replacing the dash bezel, I just didn't hook it back up. I was reading an article about after market guages in the tech references section of this great web site and it mentions that the ammeter actually completes the circut for the alternator to properly regulate the voltage in the electrical system. Did I read that article correctly? Am I screwing up the ability of the alternator to function properly by not having the ammeter wired up? I have been having problems with the system charging properly, but didn't think that this was related until I read that article. If anyone knows, I would really appreaciate a reply. As you can tell, I am not any kind of a wiz at electrical problems.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The ammeter does not affect the charging circuit unless it is dead shorted. At that point one of the fusible links protecting it would have popped. If you have a charging problem you have other issues.
Magazine articles sell magazines.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You read the article right. AFTERMARKET ammeters do complete the circuit (are in series with the charge wire). FACTORY ammeters are really voltmeters and do not affect the charging system.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have never hooked up an Ammeter in years,If they short out it could and has often has caused fires! I stick to volt meters. As for you "Original" people just have a fire extinguisher handy. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Rick Bandy, OEM Ammeters are really "center zero" movement voltmeters (they will measure both + and -) that measure the voltage drop across a shunt resistor (a piece of wire in this case) which equates to charge/discharge current. They pose no more of a fire hazard than a dash light. There is only minimal current flowing through them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
David those Fikse wheel look GREAT

Can I dare ask a price paid??

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Wheels/tires/lugnuts mounted, balanced and delivered to my door $3775.00 and that was the best price by at least $200.00 that I found. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts