Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I remember seeing one of these in Hemmings for $187k in the early 90s. Ad said it was fully documented. Don't remember whether it was an auto or manual trans.

Truely amazing considering you could have bought this in '70 for what $5k or so? It sure would be cool to cruise that bad boy to the local cruise night in summer...

------------------
1971 Chevelle (258rwhp @4900/[email protected])
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
$160,000 Us for a LS6 ragtop I wish the guy that ordered my 70 ragtop new would have spent the extra and ordered the LS6 oh well I dont need a securityguard to follow me around and I do drive my car hey i would take that amount in Canadian,ha ha ,keep on cruisin,Dave

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
how in the hell can you spend $150k restoring a car. how much per hour was he paying the shop? makes you wander what condition it was in. you could replace every part on that car almost for alot less. I dont understand.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FO_FDYFO:
how in the hell can you spend $150k restoring a car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I need to raise my rates!!

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FO_FDYFO:
how in the hell can you spend $150k restoring a car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may have been a rust bucket. To keep it legit they completely disassembled the body then replaced the entire body with parts from a second disassembled body. It would be a fake if they just changed the body in one piece!

I seen the car- every thing is correct i.e. plating on under hood components, Correct hose markings, correct date codes etc. etc. Even had the correct A/C hoses.

I was chased away for drooling in it.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 01-21-2002).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, that would sure be a nice one to have but I'm happy with one that I can work on myself and drive around without worrying about getting mud splatters and bird poop on it

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope they plan on keeping it for a long time. Just think, that money coulda bought two 450hp vipers.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
For the collector who needs that kind of automotive jewlery, fine - but the rest of us could have a fun re creation (clone) for pennies on those dollars and enjoy the hell out of it.

What many people don't take as much notice of is that many mega dollar sales later get resold at a loss - although the long term collector market is one of increasing values. Not that any auction house would want that to happen, but cars like that are bought for love, the new owner may not care what the future brings - he has his slice of muscle car history. Recently, Nicholas Cage's Lamborghini Miura SV (the supercar that I have lusted for since I first saw a Miura in '68) came on the block, in probably the finest condition of any SV on the planet (an over the top restoration at I believe $300k plus cost). Bidding stalled at the $150 k level, and it was not sold.

More interesting than this individual sale will be what happens with other LS6 Chevelles, or for that matter at what price this particular LS6 next trades for.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car.
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears.
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph.
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
ProCharger D-2R 468 under construction.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
With that sort of money changing hands it's easy to see why people try so hard to fake them. I once heard it said that 'people make fake diamonds, not fake coal'.
Geez, you could make a very nice clone for that sort of money and have tons of guilt-free driving with it.
Wasn't that LS6 convertible part of Dick Bridges' private museum?
Bomber67, in my opinion the Miura was the coolest Lamb out there. Its body looks as nice as the Countach looks crappy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes this one was Dick Bridges car once.He sold it to the company running the auction,and they in turn Hyped it up and sold it out there.
This is being talked about in Bench racing now as well.
This was a high quality restoration,which seems to be the deciding factor for a buyer paying that kind of money.
But you think they serve Free Drinks to perspective Bidders out there....

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.