Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear from anyone who has converted their original AM radio to FM. I plan on having mine converted and sending out the speaker for reconing. If you had this done - how does the radio sound now ? Any pitfalls other than using the 8-10 ohm speaker mentioned in this forum.

The other side of this - is there any real argument for keeping the originality of the (66 Chevelle) car and it's AM radio intact.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Mike,

I have nothing personally against the guys that perform the conversions, however, being an auto radio repair technician, I can tell you right now, you'll be lucky to see 1/5 of the life span of the original radio's parts when it comes to the modern components they install. Where do the old "guts" go. In the garbage.

Now, I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I do offer my own retrofit, IT IS TOTALLY REVERSIBLE. I don't alter any of the stock circuits. Now ask the 'other guys', what they do can never be changed back. Although my system requires external input, like a walkman, at least you don't have to chop the dash, wiring, radio, or anything. It's great for show cars too, as the radio easily goes back to the normal AM mode.

Here's a link:

http://home.netcom.com/~radiojoe/rr2.html

Joe

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have done non reveresable conversions from am to FM seek/scan BUT I always used an AM that was not working and I couldn't wasily fix it. You might try to buy a non working but good looking unit to convert and set your original aside.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.