Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried 3 different radio's and can't get any of them to make a sound. This one is an older Pioneer, model KE-1003. Her's a pic of the wire's.

The color's are, and I'm hooking them up as:

red = power
orange = power
blue = power for power antena I think, not in use.
green = + for left speaker
gray = + for right speaker
black = - for both speaker's. I'm assuming this by the factory pig tail, one going to each speaker. Is this supposed to actually be grounded, or does it pick up ground through the mounting stud. I have tried it both way's.

The mounting stud has a black wire that someone added. I also have this grounded.

I'm not sure if the tape player is working or not. It will fast forward and reverse, but I can't hear the tape moving on play, all though I do feel a slight vibration. I'm also haveing an antena issue. Take a look at my other post. Please help. Thank's, Cal

Windsheid antena thread.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds right. One of the 12 volt lines is a switched line while the other has 12 volts on it all the time for clock and memory. Believe red is the switched line.
The antenna itself is just a single wire.

·
Registered
906 Posts
maybe the blue wire is actually a speaker wire, the gray wire is the common ground for the speakers and the black wire is the ground for the stereo???

something like this maybe?

red=power
orange=power
black=stereo ground
blue=right?
green=left?
gray=common ground

the only other alternative i see is that you have it hooked up the right way and the amp in the stereo is bad.

to test remove the wire you currently have as the ground (the one on the stud on the back of the stereo) and replace it with the black wire in the stereo harness. i think you will find the stereo will still power up, letting you know the only extra wire left (blue) is for the speakers.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by 72sselcamino:
Thank's John.

Hate to sound stupid, but just to make sure I'm clear. You mean the wire inside the windsheild is just 1 wire?
The wire that solders on to the windshield is just one wire. It is not coax wire. The little cap on the end of the wire only uses the center pin. The metal cap is just to snap it on.
Clean good with flux before you solder as Bill suggested. Don't want to get the glass too hot.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for an update. I can't beleive I had 3 bad radio's in a row. I put a cheap Auto Zone radio and speaker's in there and it all worked fine. :rolleyes: But the knob shaft's didn't stick out far enough to get a nut started. So I took it back. I obviously need an older style cassete player so I don't have to butcher my dash. Cal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts