Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take the audio out of my stereo (70 Chevelle SS) and present it to my aftermarket receiver (auxilary inputs). When you remove the lid from the stereo, in the preamp area of the circuit board, there are CH1 and CH2 pins which I believe are the output to the AMP section.

Are these the 2 locations to pick up the + or output side of the audio ?? If so, where would you then attach the - or ground wires??

Any and all help is much appreciated.

------------------
Team Chevelle # 279
ACES # 3493
Cdn. Classic Chevelles and Beaumonts # 356
70 Chevelle SS 454/1966 427 Corvette
Fort McMurray,Ab. Canada
Ph 780-791-0871

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is it the output of the head pre-amp you're looking for on the 8 track? To bring these connections out into the "real world", a coupling capapcitor of, oh, around 10 mfd at 25 volts in series with each output should work. The ground is normally common to both channels, so look for a PC board mounting screw CLOSE to the pre-amp area and use that for your ground point. Usually the oute perimeter trace on the PC board is also the board's ground connection. Also, it will be easier if you bring each channel out with shielded audio cable to an "inline" female RCA jack. This way, you won't have to drill holes in your 8 track to mount RCA jacks. I'm not too sure what the output levels are like from the head pre-amp, if they're sufficient for your modern receiver, but they should be.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep the 8-track spirit alive! I've got one in my '70 and people love it, they think I'm nuts! Its not factory and is just hooked up to the front mono speaker. I plan to hook it up to an amp and some 6x9's sometime. Tough to get a lot of good music anymore so I'm listening to CCR and Deep Purple a lot. Anyways, I've got no tips on hooking it up but good luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jerry, Levon here again.

I spent some time with my 8 track yesterday and seem to have a bit of a problem which you may be able to help with.

Here is what is going on:

My after market stereo is a Pioneer and it’s auxiliary input is looking for a 500mv 1Kohm input. The GM 8 track has 100 mv at the 8 track head which will not drive the aux. Input. The pre-amp out (to amp) has 7 volts AC and 13V DC so it is way too high for the auxiliary. Do you know of a source on the pre-amp board that might be better matched to the aux.???

------------------
Team Chevelle # 279
ACES # 3493
Cdn. Classic Chevelles and Beaumonts # 356
70 Chevelle SS 454/1966 427 Corvette
Fort McMurray,Ab. Canada
Ph 780-791-0871

[This message has been edited by LevonH (edited 12-25-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.