Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just converted my el camino to an HEI distributor. Hadn't done one in a while so I went on the web and got installation instructions. I coulda swore they said run a 12 gauge wire from a "battery" tap on the fuse block. Well me deciding A + B=C, I figured the battery's just a few feet away right here in the engine bay, so why not take advantage of the little pigtail coming off my non-stock positive battery cable. I mean after all it's just sittin' there going to waste. So I hook it up...fire up the motor...set the timing...dude everything's purring like a kitten so I go shut the key off...and she keeps purring like a kitten...won't shut off till I pull that direct to battery wire.

So I went to the fuse block and hooked it to an "ignition" tap...now everything's great. Starts up, runs wonderful, shuts off just like it should. I guess my question is...Am I hurting anything by tapping off an "ignition" circuit, or is that where I should have hooked it all along, and I just misunderstood or made up that whole "battery" tap off in the first place?

Skip

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
IGN means power when the key is "ON" while BAT means power always. You want the IGN option...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's how I always understood it. Never had any problems hooking up radios, auxilary lights etc. Like I said... I must've THOUGHT I was following instructions (even though it didn't make sense). I obviously misunderstood and after thinking it through for myself, it all worked out.

SKIP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts