Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a few weeks ago that someone (maybe Racer1320?)was using a late model GM aluminum core/plastic tank radiator on his Chevelle. Has anyone done this? I am assuming either a late model Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster - or maybe a van? I am aware that the dimensions of a 68-72 are approx 34" x 19" overall. Just curious if someone has done the measurements.
Thanks all
Ron

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes it was racer1320.And I haven't seen anymore on it either...I'm curious too....
Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
71 350 malibu (project car)
72 Elcam 402SS
78 Malibu Classic (daily driver)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here is a little tid bit I found out about radiator interchange. 68 to about 78 most GM cars had the same size radiator for instance you can take a 68 GTO radiator and put it into a 78 Bonneville. Open the cap to see how many cores the radiator is, some cars use 4 core radiator if it has a big engine and is optioned out. The 3rd generation F body car radiators will interchange with 78-87 G body cars. Some of the F body cars use the good aluminum radiators but they also use the funky plastic tanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As far as late model aluminum radiators are concerned, the equal face area heat transfer of a 4 row copper brass from a muscle car is the same cooling performance as a 34mm thick aluminum of equal size. Looking at the number of tubes is not a good measure. All 24, 27, and 34mm thick late model aluminums are one row of tubes. Only the 54mm used in HD trucks is 2 row. Also, it is best to refer to radiator sizes by core face area. Of course this information applies mainly to Harrison production GM radiators

------------------
70 Malibu Convertible
350/300?hp th350

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm about to put a 402 in my '66 el camino. The radiator is 26x19. Does anyone know of a good radiator swap that will keep this motor cool? I don't mind modifying a little but I don't want to hack the core support all up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.