Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
I have used becool and griffin, I know there is one company that is a site sponsor but never used their products.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Just got a Dewitt. Haven't installed it yet but it looks factory and is clearly very high quality.

Reactions: 71454Chevelle

·
Registered
325 Posts
I installed a Cold Case radiator in my 70, it's got a mildly built 454 with A/C and uses a standard clutch fan.
It always runs at 180, even on the hottest days with the A/C on.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Yep, Dewitts for the win. 100% USA made in Michigan. High quality and very knowledgeable people.
My 900 hp 565 doesn't go above 180 street driving in the summer heat. Chevelle copy rad with dual Spal fans.
I'm impressed so far. I'm going to call them and see if they will build one for the MJ 496 going into my C20. The original had 20 5/8" tall tanks and I can't find a copper/brass replacement. I have a 19" Champion in it for now that I had to build spacers for. The Chinese Champion has worked fine but it's ugly, doesn't fit correct and I'm embarrassed to have Chinese junk in my truck. Griffin makes an aluminum replacement but it's over $800 and doesn't come in black.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
BeCool or Ron Davis would be my choice. Very important to have good fan (s) and shroud for any radiator to work well in a high performance application.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
My old Alumatech is still functioning very well. A shame they stopped making them. Not too long ago the seller/mfg offered some up here but then vanished again.
Alumitech was an awesome product. I had one in my Chevelle. I believe his cores were manufactured by Dewitts. He welded on his own tanks.
Pretty sure he ran into a lot of family and personal problems and folded up the business.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I run 180* or less in above 90 ambient temps. 65*-70* out the other day and i was running 165*. Auto Zone 4 core radiator, Edlebrock pump, aluminum flex fan, 160* thermostat with 2 holes drilled, proper shroud, 50% antifreeze mix and water wetter. Don't know if the water wetter works but it is supposed to help eliminate air in the system. Hot spots can cause high water temps.

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Love my Alumitech radiator in the wagon. Wish they were still around.

I have a Champion in my 69 C10, works great. Very affordable and a LIFETIME warranty (for the original purchaser). Won't get that kind of deal too many places.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I run a BeCool in my 69SS. Keeps the 502 at a constant 190 on the hottest days. I also run dual electric fans but before I installed the aluminum radiator it still got pretty hot in traffic, even with the fans and stock BBC rad. BeCool rad solved that problem.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
My old Alumatech is still functioning very well. A shame they stopped making them. Not too long ago the seller/mfg offered some up here but then vanished again.

Same here my alumitech works great 11 years old and still looks and works line new.
If I should buy one today I would look into Dewitt or cold case.

·
Premium Member
10,548 Posts
Alumitech was an awesome product. I had one in my Chevelle. I believe his cores were manufactured by Dewitts. He welded on his own tanks.
Pretty sure he ran into a lot of family and personal problems and folded up the business.
Thanks for the spellcheck lol. I think the Dad passed away resulting in the shut down. Interesting on the DeWitt's tank though. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
I'm impressed so far. I'm going to call them and see if they will build one for the MJ 496 going into my C20. The original had 20 5/8" tall tanks and I can't find a copper/brass replacement. I have a 19" Champion in it for now that I had to build spacers for. The Chinese Champion has worked fine but it's ugly, doesn't fit correct and I'm embarrassed to have Chinese junk in my truck. Griffin makes an aluminum replacement but it's over $800 and doesn't come in black.
sending you a PM.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts