Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im rebuilding my motor on my 350 convertible Malibu and I just got a nice stack of $ from Santa. The heads I have are GM cast aluminum heads 58cc 1.94/1.50. How much difference will it be if I buy some aftermarket 2.02 aluminum heads?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It most likely will not be worth the cost. To give you a better idea we would need to know the cam's specs, compression ratio and the type of exhaust system.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cam I am putting in the motor is a Comp cam with a 218/224 @.050 and 460/470 lift. Its a 10:1 compression motor with headers and Flowmasters. It also has MSD with an HEI and an Edelbrock performer manifold.The motor is .030 over.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You could always go the route of having your heads machined to accept 2.02/1.60, have the right springs for the cam installed and maybe some port+pollish work if the cash hasen't run out yet.. Those aren't "Fast-Burn" heads are they? 'Cause if they are I'd just have them machined and you'll get outstanding results.

------------------
'70 Malibu
4.030''x3.480''
Muncie M20 (in conversion)
'62 Vette Posi 3.70 rear (in conversion also :p )

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are the "gm aluminum heads" the old L98 corvette heads? From the small chamber and valves, it sounds like it.

I would not spend a lot of money on them (port work). I have heard that they don't have a very efficient design.

depending on how much money you want to spend, you might consider world products sportsman II heads, or if you want aluminum heads you might look into some trickflow 23° heads. Both of these heads are supposed to be good for around 400HP on a streetable 350.

If you dont want to spend as money and aren't planning on making over 350HP, GM vortecs are popular.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heads I have are 1986-87 aluminum angle plug. The casting numbers are 14101128 and are 58cc 1.94/1.50.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I think if I had the cash,I would try one of those Edelbrock or Holley kits that come with the heads,cam and intake...the numbers they show are impressive,not sure if they're right or not.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
sell the heads to some kid who gets an erection at the thought of alum heads. Buy the best heads you like with the extra money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.