Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily driver ('97 Geo Metro, I know, I know) developed a bunch of "grunge" for lack of a better term on the positive connection to the battery. After I cleaned it up and reattached the cable I found that even when tightened as much as possible the cable was still a bit loose on the battery terminal--loose enough that the car wasn't getting any juice. I removed the cable, wrapped the battery terminal with two thicknesses of aluminum foil and reconnected everything, poof, it works fine now. Is this going to stress the alternator in any way or am I good to go? Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If the cable is long enough, cut off the factory end, crimp and solder on a ring terminal and then get a new battery post cable end from the parts store and bolt it all toether.
Don't go cheap and get the ones where you can just cut off the factory end, strip off some insulation and then have the bare wires clamped onto the new terminal end. They corrode quickly.
If all else fails get a new cable from the parts store or dealer.
If you do get a new terminal end and it is for a top post battery, make sure you get the right one. The positive and negative posts on the battery are different sizes. Sometimes they cannot be interchanged.
Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone! My battery is due to be replaced before winter, so I'll probably limp along as is for another month or so and just replace the cable and battery at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts