Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will an Aluminized Exhaust last. I have a 1972 Elky and only put about 3000 miles a year on it. Also is there different types of Aluminized. Is 2.5" dual pipes overkill on a basically stock 350 4bbl. Will I lose or gain proformance. I am running s tock manifolds.

Thank You very much.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey, I have one of those cars / truck?? I live in the salt belt so I would guess that if you ride never sees the salt, the exhaust will last a long time. Have a set of Hooker super comp headers on my SS right now that I had aluminum coated in 1984 and still look great. Same exhaust pipes on the car since then too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
def go aluminized usuassly last 4 to 5 times longer at our shop that is all we use

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got 5 years of daily driving and plowing snow out of my system on my pickup.
And i'm going to put one on my chevelle too.
definately go with the aluminized, it will last a long time espesialy if you don't drive it in the winter.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,274 Posts
Oh Yeah, well take this---

My very original 70, bought new at Courtesy Chev in Phoenix, I don't believe it's ever been on a dirt road, bottom of car still clean like almost new, still has ALL the original exhaust on it. This includes the muffler and hangers. 270,000 and still goin'.

Too bad it's a single exhaust 307 car. But, on the other hand, that's probably why it's like this....

Tom

·
Registered
341 Posts
It hurts all of us when you talk like that. Makes me want to wash your mouth out with a beer! I could ship a few thousand rusted out mufflers to your home if you like!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Tombob If your exhaust is still original, Know why? Because it's aluminized!
that's why a GM factory exhaust outlasts most replacements.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,274 Posts
Tom

>>I could ship a few thousand rusted out mufflers to your home if you like!!

Uhhhh, hold off on that til you hear from me, OK?

Being able to post something like that every once in a blue moon helps when it's 122 in the shade, if you could find any shade.

Tom

PS gotta remember to close that bedroom window tonight, 'bout froze last night, must have been clear down in the low 60's.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Now that really hurts, with us guys living in the choke and snow tire belt. We envy you, at least in the winter. tom

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,274 Posts
tom3

That's OK, you can get even in July when it's 108 and the humidity is 99% because a big thunderstorm moved through and there's puddles everywhere.

Tom

·
Registered
258 Posts
I put 2.5 inch Aluminized to the axle and 2.25 over the axle. For my 67 396. 2.5s might be a bit large for a small block, I don't know. I know you need a little back pressure on a small block.

I expect my aluminized to last forever. I live in Phoenix and I'm not planning on driving the car much.

Hey Tommob, I'm in Chandler, where are you? It seems like there's a lot of AZ guys on this site.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,274 Posts
Hi Jameel

I'm in Glendale a mile or so NE of glendale Community College. Car country up here.

Tom

It does seem like there is a lot of Az guys on here....

[This message has been edited by tommob (edited 02-24-99).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.