Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My buddy has given me an alum. driveshaft out of an ford cop car. It's real beefy looking. Does any one have or know someone that is running one? I'm getting an th400 built and I'm sure I will have to get my driveshaft shortened. The ford's u joint is an 1/2" longer than the u joints i'm running now. If and When I get the driveshaft shortened will the 400 yoke with the beefier u joints fit the alum. driveshaft or should I just use my old driveshaft? thanks

Jr.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I was going to go with an aluminum, but someone said that they twist/bend after extended use. If you can afford it, I was told that fiber is the way to go.

I would be interested to see what everyone else thinks on this, as it is time for me to get one as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an aluminum drive shat in my 64 and am pushing about 500 hsp. with a turbo 400 trans and I have had no problems as of yet with it. I do not drag race everywhere I go but I do get on it from time to time

------------------
1964 SS malibu http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1551256&a=13393249&f=0

[This message has been edited by streetroder69 (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
The shop I had my shaft made at wanted to make it in aluminum for strength. He also said they absorb some or the shock to the drivetrain when you launch with high power off a transbrake. Problem was that it would have to be 4" to have the strength of 3 or 3.5" steel. I went with the steel, but it is HEAVY. 3.5" .083 wall DOM tubing with 1350 joints.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My driveshaft is 3.5" aluminum that has .125" wall thickness. The guys who built it, Chicago Driveline, say it's good for over 1000hp. It to is beefy but lightweight. Also have 1350 u-joints.

G

·
You should see the driveshaft in my 2001 Silverado. Damn thing must be 6 inchs in diameter and made out of alauminum. I can tell you its not a HP problem so it must be for something else.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i think i would stick with the steel, the aluminum helps reduce the amount of hp loss through the drive train but it is weaker and if you using it on a full steel body car it might go a lot quicker…

·
Banned
269 Posts
Well I can't speak about this OEM Ford shaft.

However I can tell you that my 3 1/2" HD aluminum driveshaft(metal matrix composite) from Denny's with 1350 u-joints is quickly approaching 1000 passes. This with a 600+HP BB in a 3900 lb. Chevelle.

It has performed flawlessly for several years now logging thousands of miles too. It has also eliminated a driveline vibration I had as well it was worth .04 in ET.

------------------
racer's '68

[email protected] n/a
1.41 60 foot (new best)
3900 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.