Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Elky. As far as I know and can tell by looking, I have the original wiring and an original type alternator.

I need to replace the alternaor due to a bearing or bushing that is starting to make unhappy noises.

I went to one of my favorite parts stores to get an AC Delco rebuilt unit. My alternator has three wires total going to it. The one large(10 AWG?) and a medium blue and white(or beige) wire going to a nearly square plug-in that is about 3/8" square. The plug receptical on the alternator is located on the outer circumference near the rear edge.

Their books call for an alternator that has the square 2-wire recepticle on the backside of the alternator and the large red wire in it's normal position. However, it also has an addition terminal on the backside that has GND stamped into the metal beside it. My current alternator doesn't have this ground terminal. The case is also shaped differently, but doesn't appear that the shape difference would affect bracket fit. The counterman says this alternator is a revised version, but I'm extremely skeptical due to the ground terminal that wouldn't have a wire going to it.

The only other AC Delco alt they show that is close to mine has a 2-wire connector that measures about 1/8" X 3/4" typical of alternators found on early 70s Chevys.

Any of you alternator gurus able to offer any enlightenment?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The only reason for that additional ground connection would be if the alternator wasn't getting a ground through it's mounting points. The old alternator was bolted to the motor and got it's ground through the mounting bolts and surfaces (unless the paint on the surfaces do not allow an electrical connection).
This alternator you looked at was for an external regulator, correct ?. Maybe if it is the case is used on a newer car also so that one case fits more applications. Maybe too the wrong part is in the box. I had a problem years ago with a starter that was labeled high torque but the tab that attached to the solenoid was not close to the end plate as it should have been. We took another one off the shelf and it had the right one in it. The first one was mis-boxed.
Jim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If your harness connector plugs in, the replacement alternator should work on a stock car.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
What John said. If the connector for the 2 smaller wires is the same then it will work. But, the connector being on the outer circumference of the alternator sounds like an internally regulated alternator to me. I think the internally regulated terminals for the connector go like - -. The externally regulated alternators have the connector on the back and the terminals go like ||.

Peter

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is for sure without a doubt externally regulated.

Are you guys saying that the "extra" ground(GND) terminal is not used for my specific application, the alternator will work and be properly grounded without a wire connected to that terminal?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you take a look at the ground terminal, betting it's just a stud that's attached to the case. If so the alternator mount bolts will ground the case just like the original.
The only time the stud is needed would be if the alternator case is coated with a non-conductive material (paint or something else).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts