Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed on many posts but I have one quick question about amps and charging.

I got a 100 amp Alternator that seems to be doing ok, holding around 13+ volts with full load. It does however dip around 12 volts with the blinkers on. before my 90 day warrantee runs out should I get a 140 amp? I know my volts should be runing in the 14 range, but I dont want to shell out the extra 80.00 for 40 more amps If I don't need to. I do have a lot of electical devices, High power stereo, Elec. Fan, Elec. Fuel pump, etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, you already know that you are running marginal. The car contains a couple of large added-on items. The voltmeter is dropping down to 12 volts which means the battery is not being charged if it needs it. The real answer is the alternator is too small if you want to run everything all at once. If you are trying to save the money, turning down the stereo when the fans are on should help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts