Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future,I would like to change to eletric fan or fans,to replace my stock mechanical fan. My alternator is rated at 37-amps which I know is not enough.If I go, lets say 100-amp what size wire do I need,from the alt to the battery? Also fanwise what would be the best for my 67' el-camino with a built 396 and manual trans. I hear alot about a mark#8 OR a fan from a taurus?. Thanks Tom.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Timi, I just changed to twin fans from Be Cool on my 67 Chevelle, They work good, but I also have a problem. The fans pull my alternator down to 11.5. I took my alternator and had it rebuilt to a 100amp. The tech said my voltage regulator would work. After installing it and cranking the car the Alt did fine at idle. Once I gave it throttle the alt pegged out my volt meter to 19. Now Ive got to check and see if I can replace my old voltage regulator. I did not want to go with the 1wire system. Probably should have.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Tim, I had my 60 amp alt rebuilt to a 100amp. I installed it and upon start up it burned up the voltage regulator. After obtaining a regulator that would handle the extra amps it worked great. It idles at 13amps. When both fans activate it drope to 12.3. Upon acceleration it goes back to 14amps. This works great since the alt is able to respond to any extra load on the system, It worked out good since I wanted to stay with an external Regulator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts