Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all the newest posts and they should help solve my problem but I'll throw it out there anyhow.
New battery, alternator, regulator. Idle or running the reading is 14v, when I put any accessory on the volts drops to 12, as lights or aircon. When the accessories are off its back up to 14v. I've got all the info on one wire alternator and I'm assuming thats the way to go. I've talked to other people and have been told that the alt, reg. simple is so simple it should be easy to take care of and last awhile.
Thoughts. [email protected]

·
Registered
317 Posts
It sounds like you are sensing voltage at the wrong location. I always take the voltage reading for the regulator at the farthest point electrically from the alternator. That way, you can assure that your most remote component is always getting 14 volts.

I was having the same problem you were with my Elky, and all I had to do to fix it was move the regulator sensing wire. The guy that wired it up originally had it coming off a connection very close to the alternator... so it was messing everything up. I just re-routed it to the actual power bus on the fuseblock, and my problems were solved.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I wouldn't go with a one-wire unless that alternator has the capability to be hooked up as a 3-wire. Better off getting a higher amp Delco alternator out of a later GM vehicle. That way you can remote sense it. It's a little difficult to remote sense the older DN alternators.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Is this reading at idle or with some rpm's? The old externally regulated alternators had a hard time holding the voltage at idle with a decent load. Basically, they won't do it and the voltage will drop.

Unless you have to have a chrome 1-wire I'd just stick with a newer style GM unit. If you look at them, most of the aftermarket GM 1-wire alternators look surprizingly similar to either a GM 10SI or a CS-130 alternator but they can't be had at a local parts store if they fail (I hate paying return shipping). If you hook up the idiot light to know it's working then there's only 1 more wire (remote sensing wire) which you can just run up to the horn relay and connect it in with the main power wires junctioned together there. If you read the tech reference and the MAD info and then ask any further questions you may have it's really not hard at all.

But, if you decide a 1-wire is the way you want to go then do it. They generally work fine.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.