Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second alternator in a week! I even put a ground strap to the block this time, but the system won't charge more than 11.4 volts. Am I looking in the wrong direction? Please help! Thanx, Wes

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
how good is the battery?

One my system the "What voltage is the battery at" wire and the "Battery charging wire" is one and the same. if yours is seperate then you may have a bad connection between the Alt terminals and/or the battery itself. Maybe the previous owner has a splice in there somewhere?

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just a little more information. Does the car still have the external regulator in the system? Idiot light car? Is the 11.4 the voltage the you measured from the large terminal to ground?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, the regulator is internal, and the voltmeter was used on the battery and ground. My voltage gauge also reads exactly the same. I have MSD 6A, MSD coil, and MSD billit distributor. Also, both alternators were painted prior to install. I was careful to mask the post and plug, but I fully painted the alternator and the pully attached. That's all I know about that. Thanks for your help. Wes

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Mike's brought up a good point, but first look at the terminal off the back of the alternator. What does it measure to ground?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts