Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Delco Alternator that was just replaced. It is not charging the battery sufficiently. It has a main power wire running to the battery, and another smaller wire also running to the battery. It is grounded to the block. I still have one unconnected wire it is brown and it is hosed in the small plug that goes in the side of the alternator. What is this wire for and could it be causing my problems?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Brown? Wire up there is usually blue. What year car. If it's what I am thinking it's the field wire and a new alternator may not start without it hooked up.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
There are both internally and externally regulated alternators. If you have an externally regulated alternator run the engine at 2000 rpm with the lights and blower on. Measure the voltage at all 4 terminals at the regulator while still connected. I can't remember what the chevy terminals say but ford is F A S I for field, stator, battery A i think and the light I.
Once you measure the voltage is should be pretty obvious.
What letters are stamped on the alternator itself?
If this is externally regulated the stator shoud produce 1/2 charging voltage and actually is used to turn on the regulator. Then the field voltage is adjusted to keep the output voltage in the proper range. Think of your stereo volume knob here.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts