Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have replaced my old alternator with a new one but i received one that has a built in regulator. is there any way to use the built in regulator alternator with my old wiring harness that has the external regulator ?
thanks for any help.
doug
in alabama

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got a question about wiring. I have the old (Actually I bought a new one, go figure) external regulator wired up. I also have what I beleive to be the correct alternator (Part # 7122, according to Autozone) for use with an external regulator. Now, the connector was cut off of my wiring harness, and replaced with spade connectors. The big red positive one I know goes to the bolt on connector on the back of the alternator. Where do the "R" and "F" wires go, or should I just switch them back and forth until my GEN light goes out? Can I test using an ammeter?

------------------
Mark
Member #605
Better to BURN OUT, then to fade away

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks Tom. What about wiring to the alternator? For some reason, my alternator has no markings on it (R or F) There is one post that is angled, though, and one which is straight. (In relation to each other.)

------------------
Mark
Member #605

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If I was to go look at my 72, the connector fits into the alternator on the top. The yellow wire is on the inside, blue is on the outside, towards fender . Suggest you head down to the junkyard and cut a connector off an old harness. Solder it on the wires. Swapping around the wires is not the best thing for the alternator.

·
Registered
826 Posts
John,
I think you're referring to the connector for an internally regulated alternator, and Mark is talking about an external model.

Mark,
Hmm...angled spade connector? Maybe that's why someone removed the plastic factory connector. The alternator on ours has the spade connects aligned in parallel. I will try and get another look at it tonight and tell you which wire is the top wire, but it sounds to me like you have a different model alternator and so I can't be sure my directions will apply to your case.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
'67 www.iquest.net/~harold2/

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, thanks Tom.

Must be the correct alternator, though, (Although not an AC/Delco model) and the model number matches one for my year car with external regulator.

I just want to make sure I get this right, not just so it charges properly, but so I don't fry the alternator.

I looked at another guy's big block '67 last night, and it looked like his wires went as follows, from the primary post:

red, white, blue. In other words, the red was the large battery terminal, then the other two were to the other connection.

I appreciate your help.

I can't beleive the car is finally starting to come together, after being in pieces for years. (Frame off, bought as basket case. Never do another one of those!)

------------------
Mark
Member #605

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TH:
John,
I think you're referring to the connector for an internally regulated alternator, and Mark is talking about an external model.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me. My 72 is externally regulated. Never had a need to convert it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts