Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to replace my alternator and was told that I had one with an internal voltage regulator. I also have an external voltage regulator!!! Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Ok to run two VR's?

------------------

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Bob,
I do not think you can have both ! What year is your Chevelle ? Are you sure that what you think is an external regulator is not the horn relay ? Send more details and I will try to figure it out.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
7 Posts
BillK;
I have a question for you on this alternator/voltage regulator issue. My 67 has the alternator with the external voltage regulator on the radiator support. In fact it looks like the original voltage regualtor but it seems to work OK. The alternator needs to be replaced. Is there any advantage for me to replace it with a newer style alternator with internal regulator? I'm not overly concerned with it appearing stock or not, but I would like the best electrical system from a reliability standpoint. While idleing at a stop light with the turn blinker and headlights on there is a slight pulsing of the other lights in synch with the blinker. Is this related to alternator output or volt regulator function/adjustment?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bob,
All 64-72 Chevelles came with the external
voltage regulator which is mounted on the radiator support.
GM didn't start using the internal style til 73.

Jeff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
67ss396 It sounds like a VR/ alt. problem. I would install a voltmeter to measure how well the VR is working. I had a bad VR and my lights would blink lighter and darker. I put on a voltmeter and it was all over the place. I changed the bad VR and it's fine now.
Skier_Bob I am also going to upgrade to an altenator with an internal VR. The only thing I have to do is change the plug that plugs into the back of the alt.
It will not hurt to have a internal with an external VR.
Hope this helps
Luke

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Many people have switched to the internal regulated alternator because they are electronic and do a better job regulating the voltage. If they did switch, some wiring had to be changed, you cannot run both. On the external regulator all the wires are cut. The orange wire is spliced to the white wire and the Dark blue wire is spliced to the Brown wire.
Another way to go is the one wire Alternator that does not require any wiring changes.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Tech Ref. #14 on this site covers conversion;
www.chevelles.com/techref/techref14.html
OOPS - doesn't seem to work !!
Oh well, go to tech ref. then to #14 - has nice diagrams etc.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 283v8 (edited 04-01-99).]

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Bob,
Sounds like everyone pretty much answered the question. Personally, if originality did not matter, I would go with a newer internal regulator style alternator. I think they are more reliable, although my 71 still has the original alternator and regulator on it after 28 years so who can say ! I will add that if you decide to get a new regulator, I would get an AC Delco one.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the help. I just ordered a Voltage regulator bypass connector for $14.00 from B&H Electric. Apparently you just remove the plug from the external VR, insert this connector and with the correct connector into an Alternator w/ Internal VR you are good to go. No snipping of wires and/or splicing. Allows you to return to stock if someday desired too. Mike at B&H told me that although the double VR set up is working fine now, the double regulator would most likely cause charging problems down the road.

------------------

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you have a single wire internal regulated alternator, can yo just unplug your external vr and hook your the single wire straight to the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's over my head. You can contact Mike at M&H (not B&H) at 562-926-9562

My Internal Reg Alt harness has a two wire (blue and white) wire connector into the back of the alternator and an one single wire connected to one of the terminal.

------------------

·
Registered
548 Posts
On the back of the alt is a large red wire this is the single wire used for a "one wire"on the top at the rear is a plug with 2 wires this goes to the external reg unplug it and tape it up. Sit down and have a cold one cause that is how easy it is...FRED

[This message has been edited by Fred Ont canada (edited 04-07-99).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.