Team Chevelle banner

Alternator Upgrade

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chuck Constantine 
#1 ·
I am wanting to install electric fans (looking at dual 12 inch Spals) on my 72 Chevelle. I am assuming the car currently has either a 42 or 63 amp alternator, so I am pretty sure I need to replace it for a 100 or 140 amp alternator. Is changing an alternator as easy as removing one and installing the other or do I need to do more? (e.g. replace wires with large gauge ones.)

One other question, has anyone purchased and installed/used one of alterstart's remanufactured 135 amp alternators? If so, any problems?

#2 ·
You should upgrade the charging wire from the alternator to the horn relay to an 8 gauge or just double the original wire up with another 10 gauge wire to the horn relay to handle the extra power you are going to need for the fans.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, Disc brakes, F41 suspension,
GM Performance Parts 350/330hp crate engine with serpentine belt system, electric cooling fans, Sanderson headers, 700R4, factory air with Vintage Air conversion, factory am/fm stereo, tilt wheel.
http://chevelles.com/showroom/JimN/Maliburearview0006.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.