Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm thinking of rebuilding the alternator in my 1972 Elky, it's numbers matching so I don't want to replace it, I would however like to bump up it's output. Can this be done? If so what would I need? If I read the parts book correctly, the 37amp alternators and the 61 amp alternators use the same voltage regulator.

The reason that I'm considering doing this is becuase when I'm sitting at a red light or stop sign at night with my lights on, cd player in the cig lighter, turn signal on, radio on (you get the picture), the voltmeter shows a serious drop, sometimes even below 12.

Thanks guys for any help.

------------------
Bryan Shook
My website with lots of classic cars
1972 Chevrolet El Camino Options, Codes & Pricing
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes you can use your existing regulator. One suggestion is to put your existing alternator away and just pick up a larger one to run around with. As far as boosting it up, I normally just take mine to a rebuild shop. Almost as cheap as playing with it. Maybe one of the PA guys can recommend someone. I know Mtymouse seems to have a good guy but I believe he's in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would kinda like to do it myself, I have a good friend that rebuilds alternators at his father's garage and he said that is it possible, but I thought I would ask you guys. I saw an alternator over at www.buyalternators.com that puts out 105amps and another that puts out 135amps and uses the existing external regulator and not wiring and or bracket mods. Now I don't think I need 135amps, but if I can do it without any mods and maybe with the help of my friend, I would be all for it. Any one know how this is accomplished and what parts I will need to purchase?

Thanks guys
Bryan

·
Registered
825 Posts
59.95 for a direct bolt on replacement sounds like a pretty good deal to me even if you don't use all the power. JMO

------------------
Deon Knecht
72 Malibu 350 that has been bored out to 4.251 on a 4" stroke.

<A HREF="http://home.sc.rr.com/deon" TARGET=_blank>
My Website Last updated on 10/28/2002 </A>

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there a general rule of thumb for alternator sizing? I am planning on replacing the stock clutch fan with electric fans this winter and I am wondering how much alternator do I need. I am assuming the stock alternator I have now will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I replaced my 37 amp with a 135amp,
I found a place in Texas shipped it to
my door for $75.00. I forget the name
but I found them on EBAY and called them.
As for your light diming at a idle, the
bigger alt. did nothing to help me my
light still get dim at a idle. If you
find a fix for this please drop me a
line, this is driving me crazy.
bob

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elcamino72:
Hi guys, I'm thinking of rebuilding the alternator in my 1972 Elky, it's numbers matching so I don't want to replace it, I would however like to bump up it's output. Can this be done? If so what would I need? If I read the parts book correctly, the 37amp alternators and the 61 amp alternators use the same voltage regulator.

The reason that I'm considering doing this is becuase when I'm sitting at a red light or stop sign at night with my lights on, cd player in the cig lighter, turn signal on, radio on (you get the picture), the voltmeter shows a serious drop, sometimes even below 12.

Thanks guys for any help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's no general rule. However, if you up the load by 35 amps you will notice the difference id you up the alternator to match it. You need to adjust the alternator upward to take care of this. Some of the 10SIs and 12SI alternators should do the job.
As far as idle problems with what I assume is a high output CS alternator. Some of these don't run well at idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts