Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added an electric fan to my '68 El Camino. I have a PAW one-wire SI alternator that has worked fine for close to a year. I purchased a Quick Start alternator rebuild/upgrade kit with the fan that was supposed to upgrade my alternator to 105 amps. I followed the instructions carefully and all seemed to go well. The kit included a new stator, regulator, diode, brushes, etc. I reinstalled the alternator and get 12.4 volts at the battery terminals when the engine is running @ 1000rpm. I have (2)8 gauge wires running from the alternator output to the positive battery terminal and that's it.
- If I pull the + battery cable while the car is running it dies. Shouldn't it still run off the alternator?
- If I run the car with nothing connected to the alternator, I only read 0.50 volts at the output post of the alternator. What should this read? Does it only read correctly if it is under load?
- Here's the worst part...I put all the old parts back in the alternator and I still get the same readings.

If I can't get this figured out by noon on Friday, I'm going to have to try buying a new alternator even though I find it hard to believe it is defective.

WHAT DO I TRY NEXT?!?

Thanks.

------------------
Greg
'68 El Camino w/SB stroker
Best E.T. - 12.3 @ 109
Greg's El Camino Page w/Videos and Stuff

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Sounds like you're not charging at all. you should have at least 13.4V. Did the brushes seat fully against the rings? I used one of these "high output" kits once, and it wouldn't charge untill I'd rev the motor to about 2500 rpm to excite it. Did you try that? Did the rotor and stator checkout OK with an Ohm meter?

------------------
Steve Beuth

69 Malibu ZZ4-350
93 Camaro Z28
99 Silverado
Chevelle pics

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that there was continuity between the two rings on the rotor shaft and neither had continuity to the rotor shaft itself. I did not do any check on the stator, but this problem even persists with the old stator and parts put back in. I drove the car and hit 6000+ rpms several times. Upon returning from my drive, the voltage readings are the same...

------------------
Greg
Best E.T. - 12.3 @ 109

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I doubt this is the problem since you have reinstalled the original components back in but- Did you remember to remove the pin that holds the brushes back so you can reassemble. I have done this at least twice.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Try flashing it. While it's running take a short length of wire and touch one end to the positive stud, then touch the other end to the "F" terminal for a split second. Sometimes these things need to be persuaded, although "one wires" shouldn't. You probably lost all residual magnetism when you disassembled it.

------------------
My Elky Page Updated 7-21-00
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I did take the brush holder out. I'll try Chad's flashing recommendation. If that doesn't work, I may take it down to Pep Boys and have them put it on their tester...

------------------
Greg
Best E.T. - 12.3 @ 109

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chad,
Your tip worked and the alternator is charging now, with the stock parts is place. I may try to put the high output parts in place again and try it or I might just stick with the stock stuff. The battery voltage is at 13.0 with my headlights on(high beams) and my Mark VIII fan running. This should be sufficient, right?

Thanks again.

------------------
Greg
Best E.T. - 12.3 @ 109

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yes, it should be sufficient, but it will shorten the life of your alternator a bit.

When I checked the current draw on the Mark VIII fan the other day, I also checked current through the alternator lead with heater blower, lights, high beams, interior light, and radiator fan. The only things not energized were the brake lights and backup lights. Total current was just a smidgeon under 50 amps.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm still offshore until the 14th.

Chad

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. I'll just use this one until it dies or I've got the $$ for a better one. Powermaster, maybe?

------------------
Greg
Best E.T. - 11.9 @ 114

1 - 9 of 9 Posts