Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 4dr No-Post that I have had for a year. The info that I have found out about this car tells me that it had a 350 with A/C. The car now has a 250 w/o A/C and the numbers off the engine are for a 73 Nova and Alternator is also for a 73.

The question is does the engine with the with out the A/C use a lower AMP Alternator. I have a problem with wipers and other items running like there is a lack of power. I have had the alternator tested and it puts out 14+ volts (Normal).

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
What is the setup in the car now for the voltage regulator, is it internal or external? Have you measured the voltage of the electrical system/battery?
Unless there is some bad/loose connections, I don't think its a lack of power, it could just be a week wiper motor, does the wiper motor speed up when you increase engine RPM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regulator is internal, new battery, voltage good at battery. The wipers work fine when in park, drops when put into gear, lights dim. When rpm's are up wiper does work better. When checking voltage inside while driving at the radio switched power lead the voltage drops to 8v.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can never have too many grounds. It does sound like your voltage is low at idle, but down to 8 volts is really low.
Sounds like your alternator can't keep up at idle, but that low of a voltage suggests either a defective cell within the battery and or a defective voltage regulator within the alternator.
What is the voltage at the battery , before the engine is run, then again when its started and reved up?
Do you know if remote voltage sencsing is still part of the charging circuit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts