Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 chevelle with a stock alternator. I am currently have aftermarket electric gauges and msd ignition system. I looking to add two electric fans and electric water pump drive. I think i need to upgrade the alternator from the 55amp to?? thats my question, right now the budget is getting thin, so i need some help from you experenced people. I would like to make only one change. I forgot to mention that the car is used for part street use (to the track and cruise night), but most of the mileage is done in 1/4's.
thanks

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
How thin is your budget? I have found A/C alternators at Pick-a-Part that looks like someone just replaced them. They ran me around $20.00. The 12SI's that go into mid 80's Olds/Buicks with air put out around 94 amps. The one in my 84 Olds Cutless does. Here's Wes's instructions on how to convert the wiring without buying a kit. Be sure to get a nice connector when/if you pull the alternator to wire it in.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You definitely need to upgrade your charging system! The proper way to pick your alternator is to use an amp gauge and independently turn on and off each electrical item and record the current draw. In the end add up the draw and that is the minimum that you need. Be sure to allow for future electrical additions. I would get the proper size for the street, and if you wanted to gain a little at the track you could wire up the alternator so that you can turn it off at the track.

------------------

Erik

'69 Chevelle Sport Coupe, EFI355, TH350
'68 Chevrolet C10 Stepside Project, 292, t-56
'77 Chevrolet K20 Silverado LWB, 400CI, TH400

[This message has been edited by ehjorten (edited 09-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ehjorten (edited 09-12-2002).]

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
How could you gain a little at the track by turning the alternator off? It only puts out what's demanded of it.

I'm not being a smart***, just curious if it's really worth anything to anyone not in the most competitive racing classes.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 06-21-02)

"Long Live Freedom!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #4556
'68 El Camino, 357, L31 Vortec heads, 700R4,
8.2 10-bolt, 3.55 gears, Auburn Pro Posi.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjlandry:
How could you gain a little at the track by turning the alternator off? It only puts out what's demanded of it.

I'm not being a smart***, just curious if it's really worth anything to anyone not in the most competitive racing classes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drag on the engine - if you'll pardon the pun - as long as you keep a belt on it. As you say, it's probably nominal on a street/strip car. Besides, in today's dial-your-own ET, consistency is what pays - not who is quickest.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 09-12-2002).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John_Muha
The 12si olds and buick alternator, is that in a v8 car with AC? The wiring instructions that you talking about, are those in the tech archive?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's another related question, I have read postings about hooking up electric fans. It seems that alot of people hook them up to the horn relay or install relays in the wiring for the fans. What actually does/ purpose of the relays serve?

·
Registered
937 Posts
It saves you from running large wires to the switch and carrying all of that current from the battery to the interior back to the fans. The idea of a relay is to provide a means for switching a high current source via a low current trigger. What this means is that you can run small diameter wires from the dash to the relays and have a short lead length from the battery to the fans. This reduces Voltage line drop and also saves the switches, as switching that kind of current (probably around 30 amps peak) will wear-out your dash switch in a hurry.

------------------

Erik

'69 Chevelle Sport Coupe, EFI355, TH350
'68 Chevrolet C10 Stepside Project, 292, t-56
'77 Chevrolet K20 Silverado LWB, 400CI, TH400

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.