Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 LS6 has a vintage set of sun gauges below the dash. One of the gauges monitors the electrical system. The car was kind of hard to start the other day when I drove it, as if the relatively new battery in it was weak. Sure enough, the charging gauge showed a reading slightly above zero. Does this mean that the alternator needs to be rebuilt? The belt is in place and is turning with the engine running. What else could cause this? How difficult is it to remove the alternator if a rebuild or repair is required?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Best deal I every go was on a replacement ele regulator for my very stock 70 SS 454. Auto Zone $20 Comes with Chrome cover that is easy to remove and put you OEM one on and it looks factory. Solid state is way more reliable than the original points regulator. I'll bet it's your problem...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
First step is get a place like AutoZone to check the electrical system. Think they still do free tests. Write down what they say and post back. Nothing is hard to replace once you have done it one before.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, sounds like good advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts