Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternator on my 70 model appears to have it's magnetic field activated when my key is turned to the accessory position. The gen light is lit as well. I always thought this is only supposed to happen with the key in the on/run position. While looking at the schematic, I can see no logical reason for this. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just the GEN light comes on in the ACC position? Not the OIL light? Do both the GEN and the OIL come on in the ON position?
If the OIL works fine in the ON position and doesn't come on in the ACC position, the pink wire from the ignition switch isn't going to 12 volts in the ACC position. It is not supposed to in the ACC position, so this is correct. Refer to your schematic.

Is your E-Brake light working? Try stepping on that when the key is in the ACC position. Any effect on the brightness of the GEN light?

With the E-Brake off try pulling the oil sender wire off under the hood. Make the GEN light go out? Guessing that one or more of the lamp filaments, probably the OIL light is providing a ground on the pink line. That occurs when the pink wire doesn't have 12 volts on it. Problem, I'm guessing, is with the regulator/field wire going high in the ACC position. Try those couple of things and let us know the results.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, thanks for responding. Wouldn't you know, I go outside to check things and now it's not doing it. Gen and brake light with pedal down don't come on in acc position. I don't presently have the oil light wire hooked up because i'm running a gauge. I'm sure the pink wire was getting 12 volts from somewhere, but I guess i'll have to wait until it starts again. Have you ever heard of an ignition switch shorting inside? Maybe thats what i've got. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts