Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering, dummy me had left key on when i was working on car came back bout 6 hrs later and know my car isnt charging, was wondering had alternator checked they say it is fine putting out 16 volts, replaced voltage regulator but car still not charging, i have a mallory unilite distributor with a resistor bar could something have happed to resistor bar? that has nothing to do with charging does it? or is there anything else that i could of screwed up? thanks steel

·
Registered
650 Posts
Believe it or not, ...as I understand it ...and could be wrong, on a lot of the newer alternators, if the battery is not charged it won't be a high enough voltage to excite the alternator to put out a good charge.

When I installed a new alternator from the parts store the instructions said to charge the battery fully before trying to start this thing.

Charge the battery for several hours, then try running the engine again and see if that helps.

Also, verify good, clean, connections. I like to use a wire brush to clean up the area on the block the negative cable attaches to, clean the terminal on the cable, and make sure the bolt is tight. A star washer helps here. Same thing on the battery end. Same thing on positive cable. Clean and tight.

Steve

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Steve i do remember reading that also when I got the new alternator,

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Whoever the "they" is they are full of poo-poo. Max out of the back of the alternator should be around 14.75 volts. 16 volts is too high. The test should have been run holding the alternator within regulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts