Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to install a new Powermaster Hi-amp alternator & have run into a couple of "bolt" issues. The unit is an chrome SI one-wire #37293. The hole in the mount of the unit where my 3/8 mount/pivot bolt goes is quite a bit larger than the 3/8 bolt. Using my drill blanks as size gages, I found that biggest drill from my set that the hole will accept a 25/64 (.390") drill blank, but a 13/32 (.406") won't go. I found a 10mm bolt (.394") that fits pretty good, but the mount bracket will require some mods to be able to use the 10mm bolt. I'd love to use the 3/8 standard bolt but it's pretty sloppy.
Also the tapped hole in the alternator to bolt the belt tensioner to doesn't seem to accept any bolt that I try. I started with a 5/16-18 & it started about 2 thds & that's all. I then tried a 5/16-24 & it wouldn't even start. The tapped hole does look like a coarser thd than the 24 pitch. I then tried a 8mm & it didn't start either. After all of this the 5/16-18 acted the closest. I'm about to run a 5/16-18 tap through it, but before I do that I wanted to hear some ideas from someone with experience with this type of issue. I e-mailed the dealer where I bought it a couple of days ago & haven't heard anything yet. I'd like to get the thing together this weekend & test it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John,
I shot an e-mail off to them, so we'll see what happens. I was caught a little off guard by what should have been a 15 minute installation of a new alternator turning into a "project".
Thanks again for the reply. I'll post what happens after its resolved, one way or the other.
Take Care & have a good weekend....Odie.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I'd share the progress on this. I didn't hear anything back from Powermaster, so I borrowed a thread gage to verify that the tapped hole was indeed a 5/16-18. I ran a tap through it & then it worked fine. It turned out that the chrome plating had gotten into the tapped hole & kept the bolt from going in correctly. I also went with the 10mm bolt for the pivot/mount & everything looks good so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts