Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the VA FrontRunner off the car to use it on a new project. I'm replacing the mech waterpump with a Meziere 55gmp unit and will have a new p/s pump (March billet) and alternator. I'll be using the new March electric waterpump dual belt configuration to run alt and p/s. I want to use one of the new MSD alternators (will go well with the March Ultra look). MSD offers the APS alt in 105, 130, 160 amp configurations - the price difference is not that much between the three.

Is there any downside to having too much amperage?

I'm thinking, why not just go with the largest alt? But, I've made plenty of stupid snap decisions in the past. My Ron Francis wiring harness can easily manage 200 amps so no worry there. Electric-wise, I'll be running all the lights, turn signals, horn, etc, plus big electric fan (4000 cfm) and the Mez electric water pump. I may go to an electric fuel pump later, but for now the Carter is keeping the 434 well-fed. Also got an MSD 6AL hooked to my MSD HEI that is really working out well.

Thanks for any advice/insight,

Mike H.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
If it has a regulator I don't know if it will make any difference...

With that much stuff it could be a good idea, I have a 100 amp on mine, when I run blower, lights, wipers, and stereo system it pulls quite a bit of juice

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
If you can, get the performance curves for the various alternators. Some time long ago I looked at this for OEM alternators, and the highest output ones were a bit weak at idle. They apparently sacrificed idle out put to get good the higher amp ratings at higher speeds.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Part of the problem with large output alternators is heat. The larger the output the more heat is generated. Generally, the same size case is used and it doesn't dissipate heat well enough. Some suppliers have improved cooling techniques but still it is only cooled by trying to pull air through it. Heat can shorten an alternators life.

·
Registered
939 Posts
if you want a good alternator go with a stock CS-130 or CS-144. The CS-130 comes in a 105amp version that was used in such vehicles as an '87 Vette. This will bolt right-up to your setup. You will have to fabricate a new support strap for the back of the alternator, but that is simple. The CS-130 (105amp) puts out 55amps at 1600RPM alternator speed, is smaller than an SI alt., and is about 2lbs. lighter than a SI alt. The CS-144 is used in vehicles like the new Chevy Kodiaks. They are about the same size as an SI alt., put out 124amps at 6500RPM (alternator speed), and put out like 70amps at 1600RPM (alternator speed).
These are stock GM, voltage sensing alternators. The CS alternators also have a second internal fan (I am not sure about the larger CS-144).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'd like to go the MSD route because their new alt's are so dadgum trick. One of my old college buddies works there - doesn't have anything to do with the alternator program but says the prototypes are awesome.

I'll call MSD and see if they've taken into account/studied idle performance and heat dissipation. Those are good points. If MSD doesn't measure up, it's back to good old GM.

Best,
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts