Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator went out on my recently purchased '67 Malibu. I want to convert it to internal regulator.I have read the posts & it seems the best alternator to use is the SI series. My question is; Is the 10 SI or the 12SI the better choice? I'm looking for one that fits the original brackets, if possible. I remember 20 years ago doing this to my '69 Firebird & there were "large case" 10 SI's that would not swap. any input is appreciated. Thanks, Glen

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't have my AC/Delco Alternator/Starter manual infront of me, but a reputable parts store should be able to hand you an SI alternator that will bolt directly into your ride. Just take the DN alternator with you to compare mounting positions. As far as converting it is very simple. You just need to run the brown wire from the alt. idiot light (or is it blue from the bulkhead connector?) to the same alternator terminal as the blue wire that runs from the external regulator to the alternator (I may have the blue and brown wires mixed up...going from memory). The other terminal on the alternator is jumpered to the output stud that runs to the positive side of the battery. That's it! You can splice the brown and blue wires together and just tie back and seal the other regulator wires; or you can remove the regulator, unwrap the harness and remove the excess wires, then add new line that is soldered to the existing harness, then wrap it all back up for a clean apperance.

------------------

Erik

'69 Chevelle Sport Coupe, EFI355, TH350
'68 Chevrolet C10 Stepside Project, 292, t-56
'77 Chevrolet K20 Silverado LWB, 400CI, TH400

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
ecss454,
John's link to the tech ref is a very good and clear explanation. I just did this same switch on my 67 elky BB, and it was easier than I expected, even for me!
If you need Delco part #s and another explanation, check out the tech section at www.madelectrical.com.
It will give you a little additional info as well. I used a 10SI from a 79 Camaro 305 w A/C. Had to turn the rear of the case 90 to 12 o'clock position, but it bolted to the stock brakets. Needed a 1 inch longer belt, as it wouldnt move inboard as far as the old on, but had enough adjustment on the bracket to tighten the belt. Looks mint. Remember to get a connector (pigtail) from the parts store with the alt.
John

------------------
TC# 958
'67 Elky 396/325 TH400
----------------------------
"Speed Costs Money -
How Fast Ya Wanna Go?"

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Do you really want to rewire, or just upgrade??

You can buy an alternator with 100-135A from alterstart.com for under $50. And use a solid state external regulator.

You would have a bulletproof system, with more amps to run the extra stuff, and the reliability of a solid state regulator...all for under 75 bucks and no rewiring.

I did it about 6 months ago and it works great.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out www.madelectrical.com under their tech section and you will find out more than you ever wanted to know on the 10si and 12si, including what car to name at the local parts store when you want a specific model/amperage/clocking. They have lots of other good information too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts