Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the tech ref on this and I have a few things I need cleared up.First my car is a 68 SS 396 with idiot lights not gauges.Second I am unfamiliar with "SI" and "CS" alternators what does this mean and what is the diff between the two? Third my connector matches the one in the diagram color wise however attached to the orange wire is three 10 gauge red leads one goes to the horn relay one has a boot around it for the alt and the other goes to a block on the other side of the rad support.My question here is what do I do with all those if you do away with the orange from the regulator connector?Where does the heavy red wire for the alt and horn relay come from?I hope these questions are simple because I have spent 15000 dollars from the firewall forward on motor and suspension and have been stumped on two stupid wires.one more thing these are new harnesses.

------------------

·
Registered
423 Posts
Steve;

As Bob says, it sounds like the loom may have been wired for an internal regulator type alternator.

Before we can give any positive help, we need to know what you purchased as far as the loom goes. Who was the manufacturer (not the supplier!)?, was it requested "modified" for internal regulator?, if it was set up for internal, what type alternator?, was there any instruction and what did they "recommend" in regards to alternator?, what does it say on the invoice?.

You may just be in a situation where it's a plug and play once you figure out what you have.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it from NPD for a 68 with no gauges the package said nothing it was just a clear bag with white tag.All the wires are how the tech ref shows just off the orange wire that connects to the external regulator is three 10 ga red wires attached together that go to those diff things.Also the orange wire is about 4 inches long and it is fusible link wire.Should I just get a new one or can you guys help me thru this one? I am getting the alt from a 89-93 full size p/u like in the tech ref and should be in today.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Steve;

I have no problem walking you though it, but it may be best if you e-mail me direct.

Plus the fact that work is rather crazy right now.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It sounds like a conversion to me too.

Which way do the connectors (blades) go in the plug to the alternator. I'm sure the blades are in a line on an internal regulated alternator, at least until you get to some of the newer ones with more than 2 connections.

Peter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The blades look like this ll not like this --

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Does the harness have the regulator connector?

The parallel ( | | ) connectors are for an external regulator. The wiring you describe does not seem to be though.

Peter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This harness makes no sense and I just need to know how to get the wires where they need to go.All my buddies that I have learned from over the years are confused too.This car is far far from a stock SS396 and I will cut the new harness to bits if I can just get the right info.I want to hook up the cs alt and the horn relay and that is it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Steve;

Don't jump overboard yet and cut the loom!

If the loom was configured for a standard external regulator alternator, buy a cheap one and get it working in that configuration. Once everything works, then go to the CS130.

There is NO reason why a new loom (assuming that they sent you the correct one) shouldn't be a plug and play!

If it doesn't make sense, call NPG and verify the part number. Ask for the name of the manufacturer. Then call the manufacturer and verify the part number.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok this is what I have come up with.I have ordered a cs130 alt that is going to be a one wire alt.The single wire to the alt will come from the starter and will have a 30 amp fusible link at both ends.That should be all I need for the alt to operate.The regulator plug will be tucked up above the drivers side wheel well.Also from the starter will be another wire identical to the alt wire that will go to the horn relay along with the wire that comes from the fuse block connector.Nothing from the regulator will be used.Well I hope this works because I want to go racing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.