Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 with a stock 307 and a 63 amp externally regulated alternator. Only accessory is a Vintage Air kit. At 600 rpm idle with the a/c off, my volt gage shows me charging at 13.5 to 14 volts. With the ac on at idle volts drop to 10.5. Add headlights and its off the bottom of the gage. But if I rev to just 1,000 rpm,its back 13.5 to 14 volts. I have a new alternator, new solid state regulator and battery and cables. Do I need to get a higher amp alternator? Switch to internally regulated and more amps? Turn the a/c off at red lights? Keep my idle too high? Its always done this since the a/c was installed, don't know about before as I had no gage at that time. Thanks to all.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle soon to be a 427!
1988 Trans Am
1970 El Camino, Vortec engine starts and runs, drove it down the block the other day, bodywork is continuing.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it yet unless you are going to be idling more than just for a stop light. As long as the battery gets charged more or the time than it gets drained it will be OK.

In the long run though, you may want to put an internally regulated alternator on it.

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Maybe looking into a solenoid that kicks up the idle speed when the AC is on would be one solution. Another thing to consider is that some higher output alternators sacrifice low speed amps to get the higher amps at high speeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts