Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 327 that I just completed a complete overhaul on, including putting on some Billet Specialties Tall Valve Covers. I am now having problems with my alternator hitting my valve covers. I have a chrome upper alternator bracket (shaped like an "r") and the lower bracket is welded to my headers. These are the same brackets that I used on the motor before I rebuilt it. I have widened the holes on the upper bracket enough to allow the alternator to go on, but it is not a sufficient long-term solution. What are my options? To further complicate the issue, I also put on a new street/strip harmonic balancer. Consequently, my lower pulley does not line up with my fan pulley. I have managed to get things working enough to start and initially drive the car, but I need your guys help in coming up with a long term solution.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
What year and model of car?

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Do your heads have accessory holes in the front? If so, the solution would be to convert to the long water pump with all brackets to match.

I have the short water pump and I use the "F" bracket bolted to my header, but I modified it somewhat with a small piece of angle iron between the header bracket and the F bracket. The "F" is vertical rather than horizontal now. This gives me additional "swing" on the alternator and also gives me more valve cover clearance. You can see a pic of it here.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 9-17-01)

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of The United States of America."

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
If youe heads have the accessory bolt holes, the later model brackets work a lot better. You may have to move the alternator from the driver's side to the passenger side, though.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have bolt holes in my heads. However, with the pictures provided I may be able to work something out. Thanks for the recommendations. If anyone has other suggestions bring'em on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.