Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to upgrade the alternator harness wiring if I swap in a 100 amp alternator? Assume I'm not doing the one-wire conversion...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Cecil

This is a CS144 installed on my 70 Elky. I installed a new #8 wire from the alt output to the horn relay and used the existing alt output (red #10) wire for the S (sense) connection. A factory harness for the CS alternator has a #12 S connection wire, not all have the S wire some have a brown L wire only. With the S wire connected, as stated, the alt will maintain set voltage at the horn relay as opposed to set voltage at the alt output terminal. The brown wire connects to the indicating light. Any add-ons, elect fans- fuel pump- high amp sound system etc. will connect to the horn relay not the battery. I have a factory gauge option so I left the same #10 wire from the horn relay to the J-block/battery. This configuration, alt output to horn relay and factory wiring from horn relay to j-block, is needed for correct factory amp gauge operation.

The CS 144 is a 108 Amp alt, the nice thing about it is that at idle it will power elect fans, A/C blower etc.

This is another pic of the installation. I rotated the back half of the alt to get the alignment desired. Note: the close fit on rear support bolt, green arrow, some valve covers may not clear.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'm an "overkill" kind of guy. I'm running a pair of 8-gauge wires from my alternator to my battery cable. It's a 100 amp Powermaster alternator (one wire). My maximum current draw with the fan and bright lights on is around 60 amps. I don't like to run more than 50 on a single 8-gauge, though I'm sure it would handle it OK.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, two last questions. I'm running a big block. Since the clearance is so tight in the second picture, will I have problems on my bog block? Second, when I go to the yards, what vehicle(s) am I looking at to get the CS alternator?

Thanks (still)...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A couple of comments;

8awg will likely only work if you do a 3-wire installation or install it with the voltage sensing wire connected. If you do a 1-wire you may see more voltage drop than you like in the wire but more than likely it will still work.

You really rotate the front case 1/2 on the rest of the alternator. The armature in the middle is connected with wires to the back of the case so if you try to rotate the back 1/2 of the case only you can damage those wires.

The CS144 is a large case alternator and the CS130 is a smaller case that is close in size to the older model alternators. I don't know about the CS144 but the CS130 should be a bolt-in replacement.

From the Tech Reference for applications - http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

The CS130 came will different amperate ratings so just finding one doesn't mean it will work. I think the lowest was either 63A or 73A output. If you go to the NAPA website you can search for alternators by type instead of application to find possible candidates. I don't think you can back refernce them though??

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts