Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that '86+ Caddy, Rivieras etc. have a 120amp altenator. Will this fit with a pulley change? I can easily grab these at the 'yard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I can't quite answer this. Maybe someone else knows.
The one's off the mid 80's Olds Cutless and Buick Regal (same car) will work with some modifications. However, the one that mounts on a Buick 3.8 engine car with A/C is only 105 amps. Played around with these 'cause I have one car with the 3.8.
Don't stick my head under any Caddy hoods. Haven't found anything that interests me. I don't know if the alternator cases between the smaller Buicks and larger models are the same. Mounting it and changing the pulley is the problem as you know. If you do end up grabbing one, take all the screws, nuts and the connector. Hardware is metric.

·
Registered
190 Posts
72ssabody,those alt. are HUGE you can get a si alt in 94 amp advance part# p 7294-12 or go with the cs 105 or they make a 140 type cs alt. check the books at the part store they should have pics of mounting locations and hook-up locations.then pull one and look to see if it will work.hope this helps.JIMK

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Actually, I think that the alt that he is refering to is the CS 130. It is a regular sized alt and I think that there is a tech reference for conversion on this site.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just read on other sites that to look out for the above cars as they have higher amp altenators. I've already converted my car over to the 10SI unit years ago and would like some more juice out of the alt.

Thanks for the responses.

Joe

·
Registered
961 Posts
Get an SI alt off an 1985 Caprice with Police Package. There rated at 120amps (I think) and should bolt right, they also use a single V-belt pulley.

Later
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts