Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 with a short water pump setup.What can I do or get to help keep from throwing my altenator belt.It only does it at high RPM's.Right now I have the standard mr. gaskets brackets for off the header.Any one have any thing better?Thanks Rob

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
The problem isn't usually with the lower mount, the one on the header but the upper mount. Most people use the long universal style arm, Transdapt makes a copy of the upper alternator bracket that mounts to the water pump and intake manifold. This is much more sturdy and would cut down on flex. That should help at least a little.

Steve R

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vonswanko-The brackets you have are probably flexing(mine did on my 327) and will fatigue and break the mounting bolts repeatedly unless you add a triangulating brace.The flex will also help throw belts.Even if you stop the flex,a quick revving engine(i.e.327 and 427,in my experience) will always throw the belt until you get either a deep groove pulley set,or serpentine belts.In my case,427 w/swp,I used a Moroso deep groove aluminum alternator pulley and GM deep groove waterpump and crank pulleys only(converted to manual steering).I was throwing a belt a run (expensive!)until I got these(I needed all 3,my belt is 62.5" long).The only problem now is that they reduce the alternator speed so that it doesn't kick in until 3000rpm...Maybe someone knows how to make it start at a lower speed???
P.S.>>Don't even consider using cheap,chrome offshore pulleys;you might as well grease 'em.
------------------
66 malibu 427,69 c-10 350,65 chevy-II 327,etc.

[This message has been edited by working on it (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't have power steering, give Bill's Hot Rods a call 626/332-1915. They make a really nice steel bracket.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been chasing that for a couple years and I think i finally solved it. First i use the factory mounts. A few years ago I just put the Moroso deep groove pulley and worked like a charm but then i put an electric fuel pump than the fans and the alternator turned to slow and it drained the batt. So I upgraded my alt with the 150 amp kit but the alt turned to slow at idle. So I went to serpetine set-up from March for big bucks. Installed it looked great but couldnt get a belt to fit so I called there tech people again and this time the guy goes oh yeah you need our special alt pulley for another 200$ so I boxed up the stuff and sent it back and got one of there v-belt alt pulleys again it threw the belts , chased aligned it was fine then went with the complete V-belt set-up and finally put an old starter brace( installed upside down angles worked fine) between the upper water pump bolt and drilled a hole in the alt bracket works so far, sorry so long winded but i know how annoying this problem is. Good Luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Couple of typos in my essay, sorry. First the March tech said he has a special short pump alt bracket to make the serpentine system work which was 2004. cant remember the other typo. Oh Well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.