Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking under the dash I found lots of ugly splicing and re wiring that was a quick fix that became long term. So i decided to look into the painless wiring set.

The car will be used primarily at the track with some street use (but it still needs to be street legal!!) I looked at their pro street unit and it says that it should be used with a switch board. But I dont want to turn my headlights on with a switch
. Can I use the harness and instead of using their switch run the wires to the stock locations or no?

These are links to the kit and the switch panel. I figured you guys would know better that I would.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help I can get

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
engine
Interior

"I didn't get pulled over for going over the speed limit, i got pulled over for getting there faster than anyone else"

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not really familiar with it. Sounds like that one is designed to work with their switch panel. Doesn't their unverisal muscle car one integrate with the existing switches?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I recommend M&H Fabricators. Their web address is www.wiringharness.com. For the most part, their harness is a plug and play and they will make custom features.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I just email them. Have you worked with them? How is the quality for everything? Ease of install and such?

Thanks for the good lead...

------------------
1970 chevelle
engine
Interior

"I didn't get pulled over for going over the speed limit, i got pulled over for getting there faster than anyone else"

I

·
0 Posts
I believe Painless Wiring makes a kit that will work better for Chevelles. The prostreet circuit is more 'universal' I guess you could say... Try this one here are a few options.
And I would think that this one here would be even better... Not cheap though for the GM musclecar specific one. Another company that makes harnesses that I hear is good is here.
Centech has some nice lookin stuff with good prices. I don't have any experience with either, but I've heard both are pretty good. Best of luck with the wiring in your car.

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

[This message has been edited by IHaveA72Chevelle (edited 02-24-2002).]

·
Registered
557 Posts
406-
I would really avoid any painless kit if you can. I just rewired my Elky with it, and although the wiring is very nice, you don't get what you expect. Even the kit made for 68-72 GM muscle cars doesn't even fit half of what you'll need. From what I've read, you can get M&H to build you a custom harness, which would be much easier and probably cost about the same as making your own custom harness, which you will end up doing with the Painless harness. The Painless documentation is horrible, and you will end up spending half your time trying to figure out what each circuit does. I bought the Painless kit because it was what I could afford, but I really wish I would have bought a harness made specifically for my car, because the prices would have equalled out anyways after installation.

Good luck!!
Ryan

------------------
Arizona State University Student
Mechanical Engineering

1970 El Camino
Upgrading on a student budget - Jealous of those with cash!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else with any gripes about the painless kit? Or any other kit for that matter?

Elusive_R thanks for the input, much appreciated....

------------------
1970 chevelle
engine
Interior

1 - 8 of 8 Posts