Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost done with my underhood "refresh", I have a few little (stupid) questions about my 70 SS396 El Camino.
1. How does the windshield washer bottle mount...with a bracket?on the drivers side front?) Where can I buy one?I can get the bottle and hoses..just don't know where to get the mounting.
2. Do the repro air cleaner bases have the correct sized hose connector for the hose that comes from the right side valve cover?
3. I have upgraded the ignition to a high perf GM-HEI..the one out of the performance catalog that has a performance curve. Now the question/problem. The GM high perf pulg wire set does not have long enough wires to go thru the nice wire retainers on the top of the valve covers...I did the best i could, but they look a little "iffy". Can I use the reproduction/original style wires with my HEI (without modification), and are they really long enough to got thru the spark plug girdles properly?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The washer bottle in my 71 bolts directly to the fender on the driver's side. I think most of the regular suppliers have them.

I think you have to buy that breather hose connector separately. I think.

I think you can still buy uncut wire sets and trim them as needed. You just have to put the ends and boots on them.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Only custom cut set that I found to fit were the MSD BB wires. ThorSS has a good set from GM high perf. that look really good and they fit nice, and they are over the valve covers, dont know why they wouldnt fit yours, might just have to move them around on the cap after the timing is set.

Have had mine fit before turning dist to set timing and then some wind up short. Just had to move them around after dist. was turned.On my 396 always had a problem with one wire in the set being too short.

Never liked cutting and crimping my own because I have developed a habit of knicking the core.

[This message has been edited by Midnight Marauder (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Premium Member
28,595 Posts
"Can I use the reproduction/original style wires with my HEI (without modification), and are they really long enough to got thru the spark plug girdles properly?"

Pete,I run spark plug wires for a 1975 454 Suburban application with my stock chrome valve covers and HEI..they fit nice and go right thru the factory looms or "girdles"

Not sure of the brand,but that's all I run on any of my big blocks w/factory covers..I'm not into "cutting my own"...I'm just lazy

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.