Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was checking the posts over at Team Camaro, I came across this site. The guy is trying to get enought votes to present to Chevy to try to get them to keep the Camaro and Firebirds alive. I don't know if it'll work, but its worth a try.

welcome.to/camarospeed

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
http://www.camaroz28.com/savefbody/index.html here is nother site, a petition, also they have an animated button for your webpage. i have it but not on my chevelle page, never got around to it.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I voted but I don't understand why any chevy lover would vote no.Gotta keep them alive.

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC Canada}
65 chevelle 2dr hdt 6cyl, 65 MalibuSS 327, 65 MalibuSS 454, 64 El Camino 350, 65 El Camino 327, 78 El Camino 305, 79 El CaminoSS 305
#241 gold
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #325
BC Chevelle Club #121
Aces #3029
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/7755

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Want to keep them alive, go out and buy a couple! I read that the production of both Camaro and Firebird are under 50,000 units last year. I talked to a parts manager at a a local dealer a while back, they have not sold a Camaro in 5 years, not one customer even inquired about them. He was going to order one and Chevy would not give them a Camaro allocation. 4X4 trucks and SUV's are the big sellers today. In 1987 you had a hard time finding a loaded Chevy/GMC pickup on a lot, today you can't find the plain trucks.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
The Quebec government is offering GM $360 million to keep the plant open. The CAW got an agreement to keep the plant open for a couple more years. A plant building 75-80,000 cars a year isn't all that profitable when they could be building a thousand trucks a day and selling them all. There are rumours that the F body production will end next year although GM denies it at this time. I'd bet that the plant stays open but it might not be building Camaros and Firebirds. Our 67 cent dollar is great for exports and GM knows it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I voted but I dont think it will help. The world has changed and not for the better the day of real men and real cars is over. When a 92 4 door nissan sells for the more than a 85 corvette its a sad day!

G

·
The reason F-bodies are not selling is GM is not marketing them. When was the last time you saw a Camaro Ad on TV, or in a magazine. (The Tazmanian Devil might like to take a Camaro for a spin!) If GM REALLY wanted to increase F-body sales, they'd invest the bucks to do so. Of course, restyling the body might help also.

Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
It will be a dark day when the last Camaro rolls off the line. The vote to keep the Camaro is a great try, but I suspect the only votes GM will count are those made at the cash registers. In my opinion, Chevrolet completely missed the boat with the new Monte Carlo. It should have been based on the Camaro/Firebird platform instead of the warmed-over Lumina that it is. This would have turned the Monte back into a car worthy of the original, and provided enough production to keep the Camaro line open. Guess that's what car enthusiasts get when GM places "brand managers" over its divisions.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
They (F-bodies) are safe for now, see http://www.gm.com/mo_pr/mo_pr_dt.htm?id=1054 .
I was at the local Chevy dealer today inquiring about a new Z28. I can't believe this yahoo I was talking to thought I should pay sticker price. I want to buy me another hot rod, but I'm going to have to get it right.

[This message has been edited by Alan F (edited 11-13-99).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
As sad as it is to see a great era end, there's nothing worse than flogging a dead horse. For myself the newer vehicles have lost much of the appeal that their 60's and 70's fore-fathers had. The sales indicate how popular or not these newer cars are.
Plus the new price of a little 'muscle' these days is out of reach or unpractical for most working folks.
One thing for sure, the popularity and collectible aspect of these 'classic' cars
will ensure their value and head turning appeal well into the next century.
Although it will be the end of names like Camaro and Firebird. The legacy however remains as long as there are highways, gasoline and fans of the muscle car era.
Amen! May the force be with you! Floor it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.