Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I tried to fire up my car today and it would not crank. All the wires are where they are supposed to be, I have the "BRAKE" "GEN" come on when the key is "on" and when the key is moved to "start" the "TEMP" light comes on. But no crank. I'm kind of stumped on what this could be. I noticed one fuse missing in the fuse block, its the smallest fuse, like 4A, but I thought that controlls the dash lights/"LPS" plug-in? Does anyone have any tips on what this could be? Thanks!

------------------
'72 Nova
355 L-31 Vortec
TH-350
10-Bolt 2.56 Open, Rally Suspension
Weld Draglites (235/fr 255/rr)
3,071 lbs. w/ Full Cell
--------------------------------------
'70 Chevelle, gutted.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts
maybe loosing power to the purple wire at the neutral safety switch

You need to test for power on both sides of the neutral safety switch,(with the ignition in the "cranking" position) to see if it's getting 12 volts "to it" and "through it"

if both sides have 12 volts then check the same wire at the starter's "S" terminal
If no power on either side, check the other end of the wire on the ignition's "S" terminal

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 07-07-2002).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Dean. It turned out to be the Neutral Safety Switch. I did the test light stuff you mentioned and it was a no go, so I pulled the one off the 'Velle and slaped it in and it cranked. Once again, I appriciate your help.

------------------
'72 Nova
355 L-31 Vortec
TH-350
10-Bolt 2.56 Open, Rally Suspension
Weld Draglites (235/fr 255/rr)
3,071 lbs. w/ Full Cell
--------------------------------------
'70 Chevelle, gutted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts