Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda confusing, follow closely. My car, a 68 Chevelle, seems to have a variance of years in the refurbishing by the previous owner. The car should have a black interior according to the Fisher build tag. But, it has a green bench, head rests, with bench seat release on the rear of seat. From what I have been able to read is these are not original even if they were recovered green because they have a head rest and were not special ordered for this car. Please confirm. Next the dash has round gauges with warning lights with the ignition installed in the hole where the lighter should be, column has no ignition, it is also the color green. Now what I have come to find is that the dash should have square gauges with the ignition below the lighter with its own hole of course. The column is correct, should not have ignition. Please confirm. The car has a grill on it with a blue chevy boe tie symbol. This is a 69 grill, please confirm. For this car to have a 69 grill it must have 69 Fenders? I have been told the 68 and 69 fenders are not interchangeable. I have no clue on this one, But I do see green paint around the edges of a poorly primed set of fenders. Please confirm. Need advice please.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Okay, first of all, those seats are 69-72 due to the headrest. In fact you're completely correct except for the fenders.
They don't have to be 69 fenders. 68-9 fenders are the same except for the side marker location. These can be filled in and moved or completely removed. However, it sounds like they are 69 fenders. If you need more help, e-mail me.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
As for the seats, they sound identical to the dark green seats in my '69. The grill sounds like a '69 too. a '69 has the large blue bolted-on bowtie, while the '68 has a small painted bowtie I believe. At any rate the '68 definitely does not have the larger blue bowtie.

It sounds to me like you have a '69 dash with a jury-rigged ignition switch but the original '68 steering column, since there's no ignition hole on the column. A '69 has ignition on the column.

As for your front fenders, or the color of the column, I'm not sure. My '69 has an original green interior, the steering column is dark green, while the plastic around the gauges is black.

hope that helps some,
Brian

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in agreement on the seats being from 69-72 and the dash being out of a 69 also. A 68 grill would be metal and a 69 would be plastic. The fenders are interchangable so depending on the marker light location as to which. A 68 fenders marker light is larger and lower (below upper fender well line)then the 69 which the marker like is higher next to the body line. You can look at some of the feature cars on this site to see fender differences.Hope this helps if you have any other questions let us know.

------------------
Jeff
Georgia
69SS and 67 Elky

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
While the fenders of 68 or 69 will bolt up to a different year car you'll find that the grill extension moldings will not align. The 68 moldings do not rise as high to the headlight bezels as the 69. As stated before, if the markers lights are long, narrow and mounted high on the fenders then they are 69 fenders. If so and you have a plastic grill I would wonder if you don't have an entire 69 front clip installed.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Got a question. Does it say lighter on the dash and thats where the ignition is? if so thats kinda funny and it sounds like he didn't know which was which and just said this hole looks right

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
There's also the remote possibility that the car really is a 69, but was stolen at one time and given 68 VIN and trim tags. With the exception of the things you mentioned, does everything else on the car appear to be 68, e.g. doors with vent windows, narrow rectangular taillights, etc.?

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is a 68 otherwise. The tail lights are 68 with the DMV title reading a 68. The title is clean, never a salvage vehicle. It has the wing windows also on the door. As for the lighter, I don't know what he was thinking. The previous owner removed the lighter assy and installed an ignition in its place, I know, what a X%*@#. Which is one of my other problems. My ignition switch does not work. I have current to the switch but no joy on it working.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Steve,

It was mentioned that the car has 68 taillights. BUT, what about the rear bumper....go to the drivers side of the car looking at the rear bumper as it meets the rear quarter.....does the bumper have a slope of about 45 degrees like this / ? Or is the bumper straight up and down like this | ? If the bumper is like this / then you at least have a 68 bumper and rear quarters and rear end. If you have a bumper like this...| then you have a 69 bumper and rear end. It is impossible to interchange 68 and 69 rear bumpers. If you are confused, take a look at some rear end pics on the internet of 68 and 69 chevelles. COMPAIRE the rear bumpers and differences. Don't always look for the backup lights on a 68 bumper because the 300 deluxe has the backup lights beside the taillights and not in the bumper

just my thought....hope this helps

·
Registered
127 Posts
Steve:
I live in San Diego (Elcajon) e-mail if you want and we can get together and check out chevelle. I might be able to shed some light on it for you. I think I have seen your car around, noticed a 68 with 69 front end driving around a few months back, in primer.

------------------
Gold Member #164
sites.netscape.net/1969ss/homepage
San Diego CA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.