Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm in the hunt for a new 'free' web page service and am looking for some direction. My old web page at About.Com was toasted today. I just got the new digital camera today and was going to update my web page. Point and click but alas...it's history. Apparently they tried updating me with the news buuut had my old email address.....UHHHGGG! I now have to start ALL OVER AGAIN!!
Anyway, if you know of a good 'free' web hosting service I could use, please share. Thanks in advance.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://homepages.about.com/wescolby/1970bruteforcechevelle

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Wes, don't scare us like that! From the title of your post, I thought you had wiped out your car!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Mosier:
Wes, don't scare us like that! From the title of your post, I thought you had wiped out your car! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was thinking too

What you say is something that scares me half to death as I run five of them for different purposes, mostly car related, and they are all with the same host - Lycos/Angelfire. You might want to check them out.

Good luck.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan
CanAm Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Another free site is http://www.50megs.com/ . I've got some space there and they "give" you your own local domain name. They have some pop-up banners and you do have to upload your files through their "File Manager" (no FTP or Frontpage allowed on the freebie), but it's not too bad. Check mine there.

Almost forgot, don't ever start a thread with that type of heading again!

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have had very good luck with photopoint.com to post pics. You can also post word captions under each pic. It used to be free but it is now 25.00 a year for 1000 pics. I didn't have a problem paying. I fell like a lot of the free stuff is going to disapear anyway. Look at any of my links to the signature to see how it looks.
Good luck,
Richard

------------------
The new project..
65 Riviera
78 Malibu and Power Tour 2001
-66,000 org. miles
-orig. paint
-orig. int
-orig. V6
-almost all the above is true
67 Wagon
project soon to be LT1 / 4L60E / 12 bolt posi daily driver

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yowzers! I didn't even consider the effect of that title guys!! (kicking self in arse right now) Sorry for causing a panic...she's safe and sound tucked away in the garage - no worries, I promise.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll check into them. I'm really looking for a provider that's free and allows the highest resolution possible for JPEG files.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
You bring up hi-res pictures. One thing I forgot to mention about 50megs is there is a limit on bandwidth per month...something line 512 Meg (?) If hits at your site exceed that, they say they disable the account for viewing for the remainder of the month. This might something to check at any host you're considering. A 1792x1200 file that exceed the display area on my 19" monitor could be 600K to 700K in file size. Cropping that to what's *important* and still having a picture that exceeds the viewing area could be down to 100K or so. How much space is available and how long it may take someone with a 28.8 modem to download it. True, many folks have upgraded to Cable, ISDN, DSL, etc. but there's those that either can't afford it or don't use it enough to justify, or can't get it if they want it.

Just some things to consider.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Is there anyone who lives close to Wes that can stop by and give him a swift kick in the arse for starting a post with that heading! You deserve it Wes!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Wes, you raised the pucker factor by a few points! Now I gotta go clean my chair

Glad it wasn't your car. Hope you had backups of all your data.

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
You had me scared for a minute there too, Wes. Glad to hear that she's safe and good luck with the web page.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ditto. Fire? Flood? Plague of locusts? I've been avoiding this thread for a few days now. Thank god it wasn't your car! I was afraid to look.
I,m at freeservers.com. LOTS of popups and ads but it works.

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess you could call the title of this post one of the most misleading to date.
Really sorry fella's. Told the wife what kind of response it's had and she just laughed.
No floods, fires or locusts carrying off my pride and joy.

You're right Dale. I wonder how many hits per month would push a site over that 512meg level? I don't have a clue.
Only you guys at Team Chevelle would be hitting it anyway. That should keep it somewhat lower I hope.

Like you Hoffman, I've found Freeservers.com and will begin rebuilding a new page there. It will not be as nice as the old site and will not have as much detailed information either...frankly, I don't want to go thru the hassles of retyping EVERYTHING OVER AGAIN. Sid, unfortunately I don't have a copy of the old site - bummer. And with the house move, I changed my email address so About.Coms' 'impending doom' messages never got thru to me. To think that I could have converted the thing over to a new provider without losing any of the data. Ohhhh, the humanity of it all.

Alas...the new page will have alot of good digital pics. Now if I can just figure out how to operate this new, gee-whizz camera...

[This message has been edited by Wes Colby (edited 12-19-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.