Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I've got several questions:
1)Will a 70 12 bolt from a 70 Monte bolt right up to a 70 Chevelle? If so, would pinion angle, driveshaft length, control arms, pinion yoke or universals need to be changed? (Assume using TH350).
2)When going from TH350 to TH700R4 (or 2004R), how do you accomodate for "OD" on the gear indicator (with sweep style dash)? Also, related to above, I've seen shifter conversions for console shift cars; what about for us column shift misfits?
3)Does anyone know of a source of info for casting number to GM part numbers for chassis parts? i.e.; spindles, control arms, etc...
4)I plan on going to Carlisle for the first time!! Please give me general pointers or "Caveat Emptors" on the location/vendors.
Guys, Thank You

·
Registered
149 Posts
as for #2 shift by feeling the gears, not by what the indicator says

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
1) 100%. Period.
2) Automatics are against my religion, so I don't know.
3) I don't know that exactly what you are wanting exists, but the salvage yards use a book called the Hollander interchange that has info on interchangeable parts.
4) Someone chime in here.

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
1-Yes,No
2-Adjust the indicator so it lines up in D. The rest follow. Just be careful, it will start in gear(BTDT),the neutral safety switch is not aligned.. We R SOL.
3-The factory assembly manual (available everywhere) will list factory part numbers used.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038
NCOA #16197

·
Registered
227 Posts
The monte rear is a direct bolt-in....that's where mine came from.

as far as you gear indicator....maybe what you could do is make some kind of black sticker with your new gear selections on it and place it over the old one on the indicator.

I read recently somewhere that the 200r4 would be an easier swap for a TH350 than the 700r4 because the 200r4 is the same length as the TH350 and would not require the driveshaft to be shortened.

Hope this helps !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.