Team Chevelle banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Description: The Essential Chevrolet Parts Reference is the second in the series by Alan Colvin.
This edition focuses on the 1970-75 years and provides information on how to verify all V-8 Drivetrain parts for small and big block Chevelles, El Caminos and more.

BUY THIS BOOK

15930btn_2a.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
The 70-75 "...by the numbers" book continues with the excellent material in at least the 65-69 book with casting numbers, date castings, etc.

Still advocates that no Fisher Body plate would have an odd 3rd digit - e.g., "On 1970 and 1971 cars, the Model Identification number is the first five digits of the VIN. While it appears that the Model Identification number alsp appears on the firewall trim tag (Fisher Body Plate), this is not the case. While most of the trim tag digits match the VIN, the engine identification code on the trim tag always indicates the car has a V8 engine, whether or not it actually does." This is where I beg to differ. I have photos of two 1970 body plates and one 1971 body plate with an odd 3rd digit and VINs to match.

Goes on to state, "On 1972 cars, the Model Identification number is listed on the firewall trim tag. On 1972 models the trim tag engine code identification should match the car's original engine." Incorrect so far as Chevelles are concerned. Engine identification codes are not shown on 1972 Chevelle trim tags, they are shown on the VIN plate.

ProsContinues tradition in his other books
ConsNone I could find woth mentioning
Would you recommend?yes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts