Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my SS 454 with A/C to non-A/C and would like it to appear original. The system is non-functional and incomplete and I have another Chevelle that is fully loaded. I'd like a no-option car to complement it.

One problem is that I don't have a non-air car to reference, I'll be buying the necessary parts long distance.

Can I just swap the evaporator core/blower housing on the firewall for a non-air housing and motor? Is the bolt pattern the same? Is there any difference in the holes through the firewall between air and non-air cars? Will the non-air housing cover the entire hole and appear original?

I know I have to change the dash, replace the vent under the steering column with vent handles and cables, add another handle and cable under the dash on the passenger side and change the switch assembly. I think I may have to change the duct that runs under the dash as well.

Besides removing the rest of the components from the engine compartment, is there anything I'm overlooking? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Donny

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
The firewall is different and the heater box will not cover the holes. There are some previous posts on this that you can search for.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The dash will have to come out to pull all the extra hardware out of the car, lots of ductwork and vac lines, different kick panels /vents/heater controls, but as stated the worst part is the firewall. cleanest way to repair that would be to cut the correct section out of a non air car and cut your section out, then weld in non air piece. Lot of work, but the hole in the firewall for the a/c is huge compared to non air. You could just weld it up and modify it, but welding in the right piece would hide the change better.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I did a search on this topic as suggested and did find several other posts asking the same question.

In Tom Mobley's reply to one of these, he mentions that the change is much easier on later model cars with flow-through ventilation. I should have mentioned in my original post that my car is a 1973 and it does have the flow-through ventilation system.

Does anyone know if the air and non-air firewalls are the same on these cars?

Donny

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You will run into the same problem with the 73. Check out the firewalls of non air cars and you will see the difference..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Donny
Welcome to Team Chevelle

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(
Member #409

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took the heater box/ac box,and just cut it off straight across the part that stuck out into the engine compartment and fibreglassed a flat piece of plastic to it(it gave me a good place to put decals) under the hood...the whole in the fire wall is huge,you will have to weld it up if you dont use my idea

------------------
Bob West
Monett,Mo.
72 Chevelle 461 ci.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I bought some pieces from Vintage Air that they use in one of their kits to cover those holes up. They are made of black fiberglass and they fit perfectly. You can still tell it used to have air on my 69 but it looks better with those covers than welding it up.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.